The first piece of Tegaderm should stay on for 8-16 hours, depending on how much the tattoo bleeds. IT IS NORMAL FOR BLOOD AND FLUIDS TO COLLECT UNDER THE BANDAGE.
With clean hands, remove the bandage, clean and dry the area and apply a second piece of Tegaderm. The second piece can be worn for up to 5 days. (You can order tegaderm on Amazon for cheaper, but you can also find it at you local pharmacy in the wound care section.)
-With clean hands, clean and dry your new tattoo and surrounding skin (lotions or ointments are not necessary).
– Peel off the paper backing of the Tegaderm to reveal the adhesive side.
-Gently apply over the tattoo, leaving about 1 inch of the bandage in contact with undamaged skin around the tattoo. More than an inch may be needed in highly mobile areas such as knees, hands ect.
– Remove the top surface backing, leaving only the Tegaderm bandage on the tattoo.
- When you are ready to remove the bandage after 3-5 days. slowly peel off bandage from bottom to top (it is best to do so in the shower with soap and water).
- Wash the area with an unscented, white soap and let it air dry.
- Use white unscented lotion as needed for tightness or itchiness over the next week. Light lotions is best such as Cetaphil or Lubriderm. No regimen is needed for lotion during this time, it does not help heal the tattoo it just helps alleviate discomfort.